Monday, October 3, 2011

If I Die Young

If I Die Young
By:  Talia Jager
ASIN:  B004ZLD0P2
Published May 5, 2011
Available Format:  ebook

My Rating: ★★★★☆

Cailyn is your average teenage girl, dating and hanging out with her best friend at the mall.  She’s had a few health problems, some asthma and allergies, but she isn’t prepared for the news that she is a lot sicker than she thought.  So sick, in fact, her life may be over much too soon. 

Drama of any sort is something that I have to read quite sparingly.  It is just too much for me to read something far too close to real life, especially life that is tragic and sometimes depressing.  I really enjoyed the basis of this story.  I think Jager is fantastic at understanding the feelings and emotions of the characters she writes about.  Who could truly understand what goes through a young girl’s mind when she is on the brink of death? 

Cailyn’s life felt very authentic to me.  I think that much of what she experiences and felt was exactly how it is for young people who are faced with a situation similar to hers.  There were times that the writing style bothered me just a bit.  I think Jager could really fluff her stories up a bit to make the writing itself more interesting.  She has the story; it just needs a little spark to really grab the readers’ attention. 

Overall, this book is quite enjoyable and I do recommend it to anyone who likes a little real-life drama and teen romance.  I think the further I read into the story, after Cailyn’s heart transplant, everything really picks up and it is much easier to lose yourself in the writing. 

Thanks, Talia for allowing me the opportunity to read and review your work!!