Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Sherlock Holmes:  A Game of Shadows
Directed by:  Guy Ritchie
Starring:  Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Noomie Rapace, Jared Harris
Released in theaters December 16, 2011

My Rating:  ★★★★★

In this second installment of the beloved Sherlock Holmes series, Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) is up against his long-time nemesis, Dr. James Moriarty (Jared Harris).  Before the world finds itself in war, the major players are lining up for big profits, and Dr. Moriarty is looking for his perfect spot.  Slowly, Holmes and Dr. Watson (Jude Law) piece the puzzle together and work with the gypsy Sim (Noomie Rapace) to take Moriarty down. 

Very often, moviegoers find that the sequel to a brilliant film isn’t quite as spectacular as its predecessor.  I am thrilled to say the second installment of the Sherlock Holmes movies does not fall into that category.  I might even say A Game of Shadows is even better than the first film! 

Robert Downey Jr. is a perfect Sherlock.  I love that they have made him much more humorous and a little on the risqué side with Dr. Watson, his ever-faithful, level-headed sidekick keeping him in check, for the most part.  I was surprised at how dark and menacing Harris was in the role of Moriarty.  And, I hate to say it, but I was actually glad to see one of the original actors disposed of early in the film.  I won’t say anything else and spoil it for you. 

This film is full of brilliant (and trademark Holmes) cinematography, action and adventure, but it certainly does not lack in humor either.  I literally laughed aloud several times during this movie, and I can’t wait for it to be released on blu-ray so we can enjoy it again and again.