- To be entertained, stimulated, perhaps even enthralled while losing myself in a new world full of intriguing characters.
- To have my emotional guts ripped out, thrown back in, and stitched up again.
- To experience nasty-character loathing and look forward to the comeuppance.
- To identify with a comfortably flawed, unpredictable heroine.
- To be amused, excited, terrified, and horrified as the plot unfolds.
- To be left pondering and mulling over the story long after I have put it away.
- To be left wanting more.