Thursday, September 6, 2012

LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu "Tomb of the Fangpyre"


Today's review proves that you just never know what you're going to find here at Gathering Leaves! :-)  But that just means there'll always be a little something for everyone, right?

Ninjago Graphic Novels #4: Tomb of the FangpyreNinjago Graphic Novels #4: Tomb of the Fangpyre by Greg Farshtey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My seven-year-old is all about some Ninjago these days, and while I know very little about the series, that's okay. He picked up this graphic novel at the book fair this week, and we tucked in to read it together last night.
I know I'm getting old, but holy smokes, the font in this book is SO tiny and difficult to read. I couldn't see the punctuation at all, which made reading aloud an adventure. Also, anything on the insides of the pages was eaten up in the spine of the book. There was definitely some bad planning involved in the layout.
The story itself was good. I mean, I'm no seven-year-old boy, but it had a clear beginning, middle, and ending with a climax and a resolution, so at least it made sense. The ninja are really funny, and I can see some subtle life lessons that can be taught through their stories--especially through the sage wisdom of Sensei Wu (oh, crap, I'm calling them by name now!).
At any rate, if not for the formatting issues, I would probably have given this a 5-star rating, not because I just loved it, but because it was sufficiently entertaining for my son. :-) I love hearing him read no matter what the subject matter is...

View all my reviews