Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Author Interview: Alannah Lynne, author of Last Call (Heat Wave #2)

Good morning, guys and gals! I hope you are having a wonderful Tuesday so far. 

Today's guest is a super-sweet lady with a talent for writing some steamy romance (that would put Alabama humidity to shame), Ms. Alannah Lynne. Her lastest novel, Last Call, the second installment of the Heat Wave series, is officially released today, October 2, 2012. 

In case you missed my review, you can find that HERE.

Author Interview
Alannah Lynne
Last Call (Heat Wave #2)


GL:  Thanks for joining us today, Alannah, and congratulations on your latest release! Please introduce yourself to everyone.

Alannah:  Hi. Thank you! Thanks so much for having me! I’m a “hybrid writer” (I have a novella published with Samhain Publishing, and I also self-pub). I write contemporary and erotic romance, and I’m also working on a mystery series that will be published under the name J. L. Wilcks (Those books will be available starting in the spring 2013).

GL:  Now, tell us a bit about Last Call.

AL:  I wrote Last Call for the Kensington Brava Writing with the Stars Competition. The story finaled in the competition, but ultimately didn’t win. I wrote the story in about two months, from start to finish, which, oddly enough, seems to be the best way for me to write. By writing that fast, I get so wrapped up in the story it’s like I’m living it with the characters, and I really enjoy that feeling and process.

Here’s the synopsis: Gavin McLeod is a man who has it all. His corporate climb has positioned him for the coveted title of CEO. He’s financially stable, allowing him to provide for the grandfather who raised him, and his successful seduction of the sexy bartender last night proves his private life is also on fire. Until the amazing woman in his arms turns out to be a serious roadblock to his future. One that could bring everything he's worked for crashing down around him.

Sunny Black has spent her entire life tending to the needs of others, caring for her younger brother since she was ten, and serving bar patrons night after night. For the first time in years, she thinks of herself and gives in to her body’s demands, taking a trip to the wild side with a customer whose raw sexuality is too strong to deny. The next morning, however, she learns that, in addition to rocking her world, the stranger might cause it to crumble.

A game of sexual seduction and corporate chess ensues, with neither Gavin nor Sunny realizing the ending could come in the form of a permanent checkmate.

GL:  What other books have you written/published?

AL:  Reaction Time is a D/s (Dominance/submission) novella published by Samhain. And I have 2 full-length titles, Savin’ Me and Last Call, that are self-published.  All are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords. The third novel in the Heat Wave series will be available early 2013… Did you know we’re working on that in December? <g>

GL: Yep, and I can’t wait!!! :-)

GL:  What made you decide to write romance?

AL:  I’ve always wanted to write. I can’t tell you how many times I said, “I want to write a book about XX.” But I thought I needed a special degree or to be… I don’t know, something more than I was to be a writer. Then I discovered romance. I was a late bloomer to the world of romance (I was probably 35 or 36). The first romance I read was Janelle Denison’s The Wilde Side, and I was instantly hooked! I read everything of Janelle’s that I could find, then branched out to her Plotmonkey buddies. I became friends with them through their blog and, with Janelle’s encouragement, decided I needed to at least give it a try.

GL:  So far, who is your favorite character? (Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.)

AL:  Of the books that I have published, Nikki from Reaction Time is my favorite. But the characters in the story I’m writing now, Kevin Mazze and Samantha Wallace… Wow! They keep me on my toes and make me laugh on a daily basis. I am thoroughly enjoying writing their story.

GL:  Who is your least favorite character?

AL: Hmmm… That’s a toss-up between Max Holden (Last Call) and Elise Winstead (Savin’ Me). They’re pretty similar in nature, only concerned with themselves and not caring who they have to hurt to get what they want, so it makes sense, I guess, that I dislike them equally.

GL:  Which character do you think most closely resembles you?

AL:  I can’t say that I’m MOST like any of them, but I identify with all of my female characters in some way. Nikki (Reaction Time) is a drag racer. I love racing and wanted to be a racecar driver when I was growing up. I tend to have a smart mouth like her, and she drives a GT500—my dream car! I worked in advertising for ten years like Kat (Savin’ Me), and like her, I got tired of the cutthroat aspects of the business. It’s a tough field, and I burned out. I’ve had several people tell me that Sunny (Last Call) reminds them of me. Not in the physical description, but her strong-willed tenacity and “Never Give Up” attitude. That’d be me to a T. A definite benefit in this business!! LOL

GL:  I can definitely see you as a good mixture of the last two (I haven’t read Reaction Time yet :-().

GL:  After working on Last Call with you, I told you I'd love to know more about Robby, Sunny's brother.  Any chance he'll get a starring role in an upcoming novel?

AL: He will eventually get his own story. He’s just left for college, so I think he needs a few years to grow and mature before that happens. I’ll let him have a few good years of fun and games before I put him through the ringer. <g>

GL:  Sigh… I guess I can wait. ;-)

GL:  Do your novels typically cross over (certain characters from one story get a story of their own)?

AL: They do. Savin’ Me was the first in the Heat Wave series, and Last Call is the second in that series. Last Call introduced a set of new characters, but from here on out, there will be a blend of characters from those first two books. Book three will feature Kevin Mazze, who was instrumental in Erik (Savin’ Me) getting his happily ever after. At some point in the next year, Steve Vex, another secondary character from Savin’ Me will get his own story. I already know how his story starts, and it’s not a very happy place, so it’s going to take me a lot of mental preparation before I write his. I’m not quite ready yet. J

GL:  What inspires your steamier scenes?

AL: The characters. They inspire everything. I say it often, but I truly don’t make this stuff up. I don’t know where it comes from… The universal mind, I assume. But it’s filtered into my brain from someplace else, and I just follow the characters where they lead me and try to get it all down. I think that’s what allows me to write so fast. It’s like taking dictation. Sometimes, I’m even a little uncomfortable with where they go. LOL When Kat (Savin’ Me) started doing her striptease for Erik, I thought, What?! I don’t know anything about this. How am I supposed to write this scene? I ended up doing some online searches and watching “how to” movies before I was comfortable going forward with that scene. :-D

GL:  LOL…  I can see it now…  “What, honey? It’s just research!”

GL:  Who does your cover art, and where do they get the models? :-)

AL: Tricia “Pickyme” Schmitt did the covers for Savin’ Me and Last Call. She’ll also do the cover for the 3rd book in that series. Whenever possible, she uses Jimmy Thomas. Jimmy and I have gotten to be friends over the years, so I like to use his images whenever I can. He fits the description of most of my heroes—not something I’ve consciously done; I just tend to write dark-haired heroes. Plus, Jimmy’s images are so smokin’ hot they work perfectly for my covers and website.

GL:  Do your husband or kids ever read your books?

AL: No. Never. I have boys, so they’re not interested in reading romance. And my husband is too ADHD to read anything. LOL I tried reading him the opening scene of Reation Time once. I wanted his opinion on whether or not Nikki would need to put her car into 6th gear, if she was only going 110 mph.  He said, “No.” I said, “No, she wouldn’t need to use 6th gear?” He said, “No, that guy wouldn’t have thought about kissing her at the end of that scene. He would’ve just done it.”

*blink* *blink*

I said, “It’s called romance, honey. You might want to learn about it.” <g> He’s never read anything since, and I haven’t asked him to read any of my writing since. LOL

GL: Hahahaha…

GL:  What do you like to do in your downtime (if you ever get any)?

AL: I watch a lot of sports, especially NASCAR and college football. I like to spend time on the water. We have a place on the Pamlico River, so we spend as much time there as possible when the weather is warm. I also like gardening, but I’ve been so busy this summer I’ve totally neglected my yard.

GL:  Name one place, real or fictional, you would LOVE to visit.

AL:  I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this and I can’t come up with a single interesting thing to say. LOL Put me on a beach, and I’m a happy camper. So, really, anywhere there’s an ocean and a nice, sandy beach will work for me.

GL:  If you weren't a writer, what would you be?

AL: If I wasn’t a writer and I was 25 years younger, I’d either study quantum physics, do research on the brain, or be a forensics investigator. LOL Pretty diverse, huh?!  I’m absolutely fascinated by quantum physics and love to watch documentaries like “Down the Rabbit Hole” and “The Secret.” My interest in brain research comes from having two ADHD children and a husband with a brain tumor. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of what the brain is capable of doing! I’m also fascinated by forensic sciences, so that would be pretty cool, too.

GL:  What authors/books have been an inspiration for you?

AL: I think I covered this up above, but Janelle Denison and the Plotmonkeys have, hands down, been the biggest inspiration for me. Not just as writers, but in the way they interact with their fans and what great people are they are.

GL:  What are you working on now? What do we have to look forward to?

AL:  I’m currently writing Chiaroscuro (It’s an Italian term which means light/dark), which is Kevin’s story and is the 3rd in the “Heat Wave” series. I’m also working on my mystery series and hope to release both of those in early 2013.

GL:  Where can we find out more about you and your work?

AL: The usual places like Facebook (www.facebook.com/authoralannahlynne) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/AlannahLynne), as well as my website, www.alannahlynne.com, and my blog, www.alannahlynne.blogspot.com. I’m also on Goodreads and have excerpts on Wattpad.

GL:  Thanks so much, Alannah! I can’t wait to get my hands on Chiaroscuro… Keep writing, lady :-)