Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Angels Are Here (Paradox Book 1)

This review is a little different than usual.  Patti requested some specific feedback from me, so I thought I'd use her questions to help format my review.  I've tried to be careful to answer her questions without any spoilers, so I hope she and you all can get enough information here! :-)

Paradox:  The Angels are Here
By:  Patti Roberts
ASIN:  B004QTOQQ0
Published October 18, 2010
Available Format:  ebook, Paperback

My Rating:  ★★★★☆

In the blink of an eye, it seems little Grace’s world has fallen apart.  Her father is gone and her mother isn’t coping well at all.  If it weren’t for the sensitive, quiet Officer Wade or her new neighbor friend, Grace might not find her way through the grief and sadness that threatens to suffocate her.  There’s more to Grace than meets the eye, more than she even knows.  What ties does she have with an ancient, timeless world?  What role do the angels, good and evil, play in her life?

Did you have a favorite character and if so why?
It was really hard to choose.  There are so many great characters in this story.  I have to go with Grace because we get to spend the most time getting to know her.  In no time, I was completely wrapped up in her life, her grief, everything.

Who was your second favorite character and why?
Officer Wade.  He’s the perfect guy, and there is obviously so much more than we know about him.  I love the way he takes care of the family, and then the way he relates to Grace and especially Angela—the way he guides her along.  Angela is a VERY close third.  Her awkwardness is endearing.

What part of the book did you enjoy the most?  The Angel parts (The ancient world) or Grace (today's world).
I love the Angel parts, but I want to know so much more about them.  So, I related more to Grace’s world. 

What parts or chapters did you enjoyed reading about the most?
I love the beautiful writing style.  It was so poetic and flowed so nicely.  The descriptions were extremely well-written and easy to follow.  I could feel everything Grace was feeling—even what her mother must have been feeling.  Each character had their own unique voice and mannerisms, making them all stand out in my mind. 

What parts did you like the least?
I think I wish the “evil” characters had a bit more depth to them—more layers.  I want to connect with them on some level, but they are just so unlikable.  There is nothing to make me feel anything for them or give them any dimension. 

What aspects of the story would you like to know more about?
I’d like to know why Grace has the flashbacks and what they mean.  She obviously has these angels in her life protecting her, but we don’t really get to see exactly why that is necessary.  Why did her father have to die? 

If you could change one thing about the story, what would it be?
While I think Ms. Roberts has a beautiful, poetic writing style, I felt the story needed a bit more meat.  There wasn’t a truly clear plot line throughout, at least to the reader.  I know this is the first of a series, and I am certain more questions will be answered as we move further, but I just wanted more of an arc and more of a solid ending.  It took me a while to really get into the groove of the book, to get to know the characters a bit more, and to start to understand what was really going on.  There are fantastic elements to the story; there’s just too many things left unexplained and unanswered in the end.  That’s really the only complaint I had!

What are you hoping to read more about in book 2?
Who is Grace, really?  What does the other realm have to do with her life?  What really happened to her father?  Was he really her father in the first place?  I hope the story really comes together and we see how all these different elements fit together.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  I am looking forward to continuing the series, enjoying more of Patti’s gorgeous writing, and getting all these questions answered!! J


Learn more about Patti Roberts and the Paradox series at her website:  http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com/