Monday, November 19, 2012

The Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro

Wow! What a crazy time of year! I think it starts earlier and earlier every year. I need at least five clones to keep up with everything--toss in a couple extra for the last couple of months of the year, please...

I'm FINALLY getting around to sharing about this fantastic comic/graphic novel by an awesome guy: The Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro. I feel like I've watched this baby grow over the past year or so. I got all sorts of sneak peeks and terrific swag from Howard, and now it is finally available for you to enjoy!

Drop back by tomorrow for an interview with Howard, and be sure to grab your own copy of The Stereotypical Freaks! You won't regret it...



The Stereotypical Freaks
By Howard Shapiro
ISBN: 9780578112176
Expected Publication: November 4, 2012 by Animal Media Group
Available Format: paperback, ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

Publisher's Synopsis: Jacoby Nukik is an exchange student from Canada, with a spirit and wisdom well beyond his age.  Jacoby and three other, very disparate, high school seniors come together to compete in their school’s Battle of the Bands. They are The Stereotypical Freaks, and their world is coming to life in a new graphic novel from Sea Lion Books.

The Stereotypical Freaks is about the Battle of the Bands that the main characters enter, but at its heart it is a story about friendship, the power of music, and how we deal with loss. The power of music brings them together… the power of friendship, creativity, and determination takes them on a journey that will inspire the rest of their lives.

Although I've seen previews and been "in the loop" during most of the publication process, I was really pleased and surprised with the finished product!  When it all came together, this is a highly entertaining while truly touching story—perfectly illustrated and well-rounded for readers of any age.

What I really love about comics/graphic novels is that you don't get bogged down with pages and pages of descriptions—the pictures are right there to tell half the story, while the dialogue between the characters fills in the blanks. That, and I can read it in one sitting and enjoy it again and again as many times as I'd like!

Howard really brings these characters to life as we follow them through the story of their typical high school life, renewed friendships, and learning difficult yet monumental life lessons.

A really fun touch to the novel is the suggested playlist that comes with each chapter.  There are some great songs that I am very familiar with, while I was introduced to some that I didn't know that well at all. It just really added a whole new dimension to the reading experience.

Bravo, Howard! Amazing read and highly recommended for everyone… And I can't tell you how much it means to me that I was included in the acknowledgements J. Very cool indeed!