Sunday, March 4, 2012

Feature: Author Interview with Nancy Straight, author of Meeting Destiny

Time for another glorious week!  Today, I am starting off the week with a little Q&A with Nancy Straight, the beautiful author of the Destiny Series. This is a great cross-genre series for both adults and young adults.  In case you missed it, you can find my review HERE.


Author Interview
Nancy Straight
Destiny Series



GL:  Please introduce yourself to everyone. 

Nancy: I’m the author of the Destiny Series (Meeting Destiny, Destiny’s Revenge, and Destiny’s Wrath).  I wrote Meeting Destiny just to see if I could, kind of something on my bucket list.  It was such a thrill to hear what friends thought of it, I decided to publish it and wrote the other two in the series.    

GL:  That worked out pretty well, huh? J

GL:  Now, tell us a little about Meeting Destiny

NS:  Meeting Destiny crosses several genres. It is about a couple that is destined to be together.  It’s got action, suspense, paranormal elements and is all tied into a love story that transcends lifetimes.

GL:  What other books do you have out now?  What will be coming soon? 

NS:  I just finished Destiny’s Wrath in January.  I’m working on a new Paranormal Romance series, but haven’t titled it yet.  The new series is about a girl whose mother dies, leaving her alone in the world until she discovers an entire family that’s been hidden from her.  She finds out why and needs to decide if she’s willing to accept their unconditional love if it means giving up her whole world. 

GL:  What inspired this story? 

NS:  The Destiny series was inspired by my belief that certain people are really supposed to end up together.  It may not be “love at first sight” but when you’re with the right person, everything is right with the world, and it doesn’t always take months or years to figure out who that person is—sometimes you just know.    Meeting Destiny gives the reader more questions than answers; it isn’t until Destiny’s Wrath that the whole story unfolds.

GL:  I have to get reading!

GL:  What made you decide to write about an older ‘young adult’ character (in her twenties)? 

NS:  LOL! I really never meant for the Destiny Series to be a young adult series.  There are no explicit scenes that preclude a younger audience, but I think it appeals to all ages.  We’ve all either met or are still looking for our destiny.  This series has a strong heroine with an exceptional moral compass.  She doesn’t always make the right decisions, but all of her decisions are made for the right reasons.  I think most of us can relate to her.

GL:  I actually think, for the YA audience, Lauren and Max make some pretty great role models as well.  Very mature!

GL:  Are any of your characters based on people you know? 

NS:  “Peanut” is the only character that is based in reality.  He is introduced in Destiny’s Revenge.  Peanut is a Doberman Pincher that is both a protector and companion to Lauren.  I had a Doberman Pincher named Peanut that died of cancer several years ago. I think including him in the book was my tribute to one VERY incredible dog.  J

GL:  Awww…  I am a sucker for the fur-babies!  Can’t wait to “meet” him.

GL:  Who was the most difficult character to develop?  The easiest? 

NS:  The hardest was Seth.  He is Lauren’s boyfriend when Meeting Destiny begins.  He’s athletic, handsome, thoughtful and deeply in love with Lauren.  Let’s face it, most of us have dated a person that all our friends and family loved, but when it came right down to it, wasn’t the right guy.  Writing about a great character that gets rejected is VERY hard.  The easiest was Max. 

GL:  Seth is exactly who I imagined would be difficult.

GL:  Were there any scenes that you loved, but just did not make it in the final product

NS:  I actually deleted several chapters from Meeting Destiny because it gave too much of the plot away too early.    

GL:  You’ve included a bit of a love triangle in this story. How do you feel about love triangles? 

NS:  I’m not fond of most of them, but it worked well for the story.  Even though Seth was upset that Lauren rejected him, he needed to meet his destiny, too!

GL:  I don’t mind a well-written love triangle, and I think yours was done very well.  Sometimes they are just… annoying.  

GL:  Your main character works in the fast food industry.  Do you eat much fast food?

NS:  YES! I’m a horrible cook, so at least once a day!  I could eat Bojangles chicken three meals a day and never get tired of it!  Since my cooking skills aren’t all that sharp, I think my family agrees.

GL:  I like some Bojangles myself, and I am not a great cook either, but fast food and my tummy don’t always agree…

GL:  Do you have any particular faces in mind for your characters?  Who would you cast in their roles if Meeting Destiny hit the big screen? 

NS:  The models on the Destiny’s Wrath cover are exactly how I envision Lauren and Max.  I don’t have any idea who would be the right characters if it were ever a movie.    

GL:  Are you a college graduate? Did you enjoy the college years? 

NS: I LOVED college the first time, although I think it was the social life more than the academics, because I didn’t graduate the first time I went.  J  After I dropped out, I knew I couldn’t support myself without a decent job so I joined the Marine Corps.  I spent ten years in the Marine Corps and got my undergraduate degree while I was on active duty.  A few years later, I went back and got my Masters Degree.  

GL:  Do you think you have a strong sense of premonition/intuition?  Have you ever experienced anything like Lauren did during the robbery? 

NS:  I wish!  Sadly, no, it’s all fiction.    

GL: Yeah, me either…

GL:  What are some of your favorite books? 

NS:  Significance by Shelly Crane, Enchantment by Charlotte Abel, Beg for Mercy by Shannon Dermott, and Eternal Eden by Nicole Williams are all in my ALL TIME FAVORITES!  I’m reading Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson right now and believe it will land as an all time favorite as well.

GL:  Favorite guilty pleasure? J 

NS:  Snickers bars and Blue Bell Ice Cream.

GL:  You are a girl after my own heart! J  Blue Bell Vanilla Bean is so yummy…

*~*Happy Birthday, Nancy!!*~*
GL:  Happy Birthday!!!  How are you going to celebrate your day? 

NS:  Awww, thanks for remembering!  I’m going out with girlfriends Friday night, and I’m hoping I don’t have to cook all weekend!  Thanks so much for the interview and for your fabulous review of Meeting Destiny!  I can’t thank you enough!

GL:  Thank you so much for sharing your work with us and hanging out with us today!  You are definitely welcome back anytime!


Here's where you can find Nancy and her books:

Twitter: @nancystraight

Meeting Destiny:

Destiny’s Revenge:

Destiny’s Wrath: