Thursday, March 29, 2012

Feature: The Hart Compound by Dana Sitar

Is it just me or does it seem like this week has just crawled by so far?  I'm sure it has nothing to do with it being spring break and having my oldest home all day. :-)  Nah, he's not so bad.  All three together, though.......


Anyway, today's feature is The Hart Compound by Dana Sitar.  Dana will be by tomorrow, March 30th, with a guest post for you all.  Today, I'm giving ya my review. :-)



The Hart Compound (This Artist's Life, Vol Two)
by Dana Sitar
Expected Publication: April 1, 2012
Available Format: ebook

My Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis:  When aspiring writer Dana Sitar joins comedians Nick Hart and Stefan Davis in their Mayoral campaign in Madison, Wisconsin, she is set on a path of professional and personal self-discovery. Her news articles and personal short stories introduce a unique cache of artists through the eye of an emerging Gonzo journalist.

This sequel to Welcome to the Shit Show sees the writer finding her voice, both artistically and emotionally. She leaves her broken life behind her and discovers an unlikely home in the depths of Madison, Wisconsin's comedy scene. In the comedians, Dana finds inspiration for life as an artist, a wealth of stories to write, a part of herself she didn't know she was hiding, and even a new lover.

When I began this compilation, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into.  I quickly realized that this was raw, witty, real life stuff.  Dana easily pulled me into the waves of her world—the pain and awkwardness of her divorce, her immersion in the Madison comedy scene, her exploration into new relationships.  One minute I was biting my nails; the next I was giggling to myself. 

I did get a little ‘off track’ when things moved into the mayoral race and all that political stuff.  Please don’t misunderstand, everything is written very well; it’s just not really my thing. Her style and humor are definitely still there. I think we probably have the same feelings about the screwed up agenda of the media! J I’m just the kind of person that is more interested in the individual’s life rather than bigger social issues (it’s a psychology thing).  I’m glad the book started out more personal or it might have been harder for me to get into it.

Overall, this was a good read.  It certainly isn’t for everyone, but I know there is definitely an audience out there that will LOVE it.  If you like down-to-earth, real life writing with plenty of entertainment woven in, absolutely pick up a copy and try it out for yourself!