Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Feral (Book 1 in the Werecat Saga) by Jami Lynn Saunders


Feral (Book 1 in the Werecat Saga)
by Jami Lynn Saunders
ISBN:  9781936307159
Published November 30, 2011 by 711 Press
Available Format: Paperback, ebook

My Rating: ★★★★

711 Press is publishing "short stories" they label "movies & TV in book form."  I had no idea what they meant when they approached me and asked if I'd like to read and review some of their publications.  Turns out, the idea is that you can read an entire book in the time it would take you to watch a movie or television show.  The approximate read time for Feral is ninety-two minutes, so that means you can pop Despicable Me in for the kids and enjoy some solid reading time with no loose ends. You all should know by now how much I love being able to read something in one sitting! I hate for my reading time to be interrupted…

In Feral, picture nuclear fallout and a zombie-like aftermath—but the zombies are human-feline mutations that have an insaitable thirst for flesh. Some humans, however, are not feral, but they can transform into various feline forms. Pippa Reyes, a werecat, is now on a mission to travel across the country to find a haven for her kind.  With her friends, Aiden and Abby, she will head west, across the devastated terrain infested with ferals and others attempting to take their lives at every turn.

This book is a unique twist on both the "zombie apocalypse" and were stories.  It is an interesting setup and I really enjoyed getting to know the characters.  They have great chemistry, and the little twists and turns along the way keep things flowing nicely.  I did knock off one star because at times, I felt some aspects of the story were a bit predictable and I wish a few things were fleshed out a bit more.  But, with a short story, you are often left with a lot of unanswered questions that hopefully will be worked out in the remaining installments.

Overall, this was a great read.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of what 711 Press has in store!