Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Help (film)


The Help
Directed by Tate Taylor
Written by Tate Taylor
Based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett
Starring Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Octavia Spencer
Rated PG-13 for thematic material
Released in theaters August 10, 2011

My Rating: ★★★★★

This is another one that I had hoped to read the novel BEFORE watching.  Of course, time did not permit this, and I couldn't hold off watching the film any longer!

Set in Mississippi during the 1960s, just when the Civil Rights Movement approaches its peak, a young author, Skeeter (Emma Stone) returns from college to her hometown to work at a small newspaper.  Soon, she decides to undertake the monumental task of writing a novel portraying the points of view of the hired African-American maids that she and most of her high society friends were raised by. At a time when such an act was literally illegal, she sets a chain of events in motion that will change the lives around her forever.

Overall, it was a very entertaining and thought-provoking movie.  The writer and director did a fantastic job of taking us back to a different place and time and giving us a new, deeper perspective on something that was all too common at that time. I adore Emma Stone and I think she made a perfect Skeeter.

This film did exactly what I think it set out to do.  It inspired me. I cried; I laughed; I was sad, angry, and hopeful all at once.  It made me FEEL.  It made me think.  My husband and I had conversations about it.  My seven-year-old son asked a lot of significant questions. How many movies can really do this these days?  In my opinion, it truly was a success and something I feel enriched our lives.

If nothing else, my son learned a bit more about civil rights, and interestingly enough, miscarriages. J  I definitely recommend checking this one out!