Friday, May 11, 2012

The Lucky One (film)


The Lucky One
Directed by Scott Hicks
Written by Will Fetters
Starring Zac Efron, Taylor Schilling, Blythe Danner
Rated PG-13 for some sexuality and violence
Released in theaters April 20, 2012

Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks

My Rating:  ★★★★★

This was a perfect girls' night out excursion for my best friends and myself. But, it wouldn't be a bad date night movie either.  I'm kind of excited for my husband to see this with me when it comes out on blu-ray.

When Logan (Zac Efron), a marine serving in Iraq, discovers a photograph of a beautiful young woman (Taylor Schilling) in some rubble, it inadvertently saves his life.  Mourning the loss of his friends and suffering the effects of being in the throes of an active war zone, Logan sets out to find the woman in the photo and thank her personally.  Once he arrives, however, things aren't as easy as he expected.  He finds himself falling in love, but they both have baggage and secrets that could be a deal breaker.  Will love survive or will Logan not be quite as lucky as he once was?

I have not had time to read the novel yet, so I can't compare the film adaptation to the written version.  I do know that I have yet to find a Nicholas Sparks novel that I do not like, and most of the screen versions coincide pretty well with the novels.  Just like all Nic's books, there is definitely romance, but he is also a fan of tragedy and drama.  I can't spoil it for you, but I will say I was on edge the entire time wondering who was going to fall into that tragedy category!

As for the film itself, the cinematography was lovely.  There was lots of natural lighting and colors.  Great romantic shadowing and camera angles.  Casting was pretty spot-on.  Every character was believable and played their parts well.  I particularly loved Blythe Danner's role as the kooky grandmother.  She portrayed the perfect mix of humor and wisdom.  Zac Efron did a wonderful job with such a mature role.  He really has grown up!

Overall, I really loved it.  I will definitely have to own this one, and I am looking forward to reading the novel one day soon!  I think the ladies are going to enjoy it, while the men could certainly learn a few things J