Monday, May 30, 2011

Summoning

Summoning
By:  Debi Faulkner
ISBN: 2940011864247
Published October 10, 2010
Available format:  ebook

My Rating: ★★★★☆

Based on an old Irish witch story, Summoning tells the tale of young Meredith.  Sold into seven years’ servitude by her parents to pay only a year of their rent, Meredith learns there is more to her master than meets the eye.  One night she spies the Vicar making a deal with the devil himself—his soul as well as Meredith’s in exchange for vast wealth.  Over the years as his servant, Meredith learns this dark craft and begins her own correspondence with the demon in hopes of finding her vanished family once again.  When Meredith is accused of witchcraft and condemned to death, she must somehow save herself and those she loves before it is too late. 

I was the lucky winner of Summoning in a Library Thing giveaway.

I am sure that I read the book description before entering the giveaway, but I actually began reading this book not really certain exactly what it was about.  This was another one that I went into with tentative expectations but found myself extremely impressed. 

Debi Faulkner writes absolutely beautifully.  I have since learned that she is a poet, and that is obvious in the gorgeous prose of this novel.  She is a complete pro with imagery.  Without effort, I found myself right there with Meredith in the dank, cold cellar, dark, menacing mansion, and beautiful, rich orchard.  At first, I was a little thrown off by the jumps from the past to the present, but in the end it really worked out wonderfully.  I found practically no grammatical or mechanical errors as well which is always refreshing.

The characters are all strong and captivating.  Meredith is an impeccable protagonist, emphasized even more by the darkness and intrigue of the Vicar.  All the supporting characters, even Legion, were well-developed and added just the right touch to the overall story.  Meredith’s entire life is shaped by these characters and the influence they each have over her. 

This haunting story immediately grabbed my attention and kept me involved for hours.  I didn’t want to leave Meredith’s world.  This was a perfect read for a lazy Sunday afternoon!

This review can also be found at JournalStone.