Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Directed by:  David Yates
Screenplay by:  Steve Kloves
Based on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Released in theaters July 15, 2011

My Rating:  ★★★★★

It’s no secret I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan!  I love the books; I love the movies. I am absolutely heartbroken this is the last film. I cried as much for the completion of the series as I cried for the actual content of the movie. No, seriously—I boohooed at least half the show!

The Final Showdown
In this eighth and final installment of the beloved epic fantasy series, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) must destroy the remaining horcruxes and face his long-time enemy, Voldemort  (Ralph Fiennes) for one final battle. Alongside his best friends, Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ron (Rupert Grint), his seven-year journey will, one way or another, come to an end.

This film begins just after Voldemort has stolen the elder wand from Dumbledore’s grave, and Harry and his friends have buried Dobby (sob). Harry enlists the help of Griphook the goblin (Warwick Davis), who Dobby helped rescue from the Malfoy’s estate, to break into Gringott’s in search of one of the remaining horcruxes. Back in Diagon Alley, the action and adventure is on again, leading up to one heck of a final showdown between the Death Eaters and those remaining in Hogwart’s. 

Mysteriously evil or misunderstood?
Have I mentioned that I cannot believe the series is over? The first novel, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone, was published in 1997 with the film adaption following in 2001. Now, fourteen years later, here we are at the close! I was a sophomore in high school the year the book was available. I feel like I grew up with Harry or at least I have watched a child grow up!

The young Neville Longbottom
As for this particular film, it was spectacular, not that I expected anything different! Yes, the book is SO much better, but really, they have always done a wonderful job of staying as true to Rowling’s original stories as they could. The cast, made up mostly of the same actors that started back in 2001, is flawless. I think Daniel Radcliffe was born for his role as Harry, and no matter what else he ever does, he will always be Harry Potter in my eyes.  Same goes for many of the other actors. After all these years, it is no surprise that each and every one of them gives an absolutely solid performance.

I'd say he's aged quite well!
My favorite part of both this book and the movie is the ultimate revelation regarding Snape (Alan Rickman), who is probably my FAVORITE character of them all. You can imagine the tears were flowing during his final spotlight. I also enjoyed the growth that came to fruition in dear Neville (Matthew Lewis)! And Molly Weasley (Julie Walters) shows us once again that you don’t mess with mama’s babies!

David Yates is a terrific director, especially for the darker sentiment of the last several Potter films. I can’t imagine it is easy capturing the perfect look and feel of the enormous amount of material that Rowling includes in her novels.  Yates, Kloves, and the set and costume designers must be commended for their remarkable ability to accurately portray the story in just a couple hours!

Overall, it was a perfect ending to a truly magical series! No review I could ever write would give it proper justice. Harry Potter will forever be a part of our lives. I cannot wait until this final film is on Blu-ray and our collection is complete to enjoy as often as we like!


This review can also be found at JournalStone.