Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Modern Witch


A Modern Witch will be featured on the July 19th edpisode of JournalJabber along with an interview with Any Witch Way author, Annastaysia Savage!!! Tune in for the fun!




A Modern Witch
By:  Debora Geary
AISN:  B004RZ2660
Published March 12, 2011 by Fireweed Publishing
Available Format: ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

I finished this one with a smile on my face…

A Modern Witch is a refreshingly creative twist on witches. You’ll find no broomsticks or cauldrons here. These witches are star real estate agents, special needs therapists, and computer programmers—ordinary women with some extraordinary powers.

Lauren is the brilliant real estate agent who has made quite a life for herself finding the perfect Chicago homes for her clients. One night she is shopping for some Ben & Jerry’s online when she suddenly ends up in a chat room…for witches! Since Lauren is sure she isn’t a witch, she’s convinced this was a mistake, but the witch who coded the fetching program knows magic doesn’t err.

Soon, a handsome plate-levitating stranger is having sushi with Lauren. It doesn’t take long before she is sucked into mind-reading, power channeling, and powerful magical circles. The problem is, Lauren isn’t quite sure she’s ready for a family yet, certainly not a family of witches!

I was thoroughly impressed with this fantastic novel! Lauren is just like any other young woman working her way up in the world. She is successful and happy. She has amazing talent at what she does, and then she finds out she is a witch! The way we become familiar with Lauren first and then are swept into the magical world with her makes the story so much more believable and relatable.

I especially appreciated the “side story” of Jamie and Nat! It’s great to have the love story in there without it actually involving the main character and without her being bitter and jealous about it!

Aervyn was my favorite character in the novel. Having young children myself, I can just imagine how much crazier my life would be (and believe me, it is already pretty nuts!) if my kids had magical powers! It was fun reading how Nell dealt with her mischievous young witchling with normal loving discipline as well as exceptional pride in his abilities. The mama in me totally related to her.

The warmth and camaraderie that surrounds the Walker family radiated off the pages of this book. By the time the story came to a close, much like Lauren, I felt like I was part of the family too! It is one thing for a book to entertain you or even make you think, but to make you really feel something is a true gift. This just shows what a talented writer Ms. Geary is!