Thursday, January 5, 2012

Feature: Flame of Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame #1) by Rhiannon Paille

Flame of Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame #1)
By:  Rhiannon Paille
ISBN:  9781927339022
Published November 1, 2011 by Coscom Entertainment
Available Format:  Paperback, ebook

My Rating: ★★★★☆

In a world beyond the lake, separate from the Land of Men, love as we know it is almost unheard of and everyone has a purpose to serve.  What a surprise when Kaliel is discovered by the handsome Krishani, who dreams of death, foretelling his future.  An even greater surprise is that the two fall in love.  Each of them have a far greater purpose to fulfill, and this purpose does not allow them the luxury of pursuing the desires of their hearts.  Kaliel speaks with trees, swims with merfolk, and blooms flowers at her feet; but what they both do not know is that she is a Flame, a handcrafted weapon hidden in the body of a girl.  Will their love survive their fates?

I was really pleased with this read.  Once I warmed up to the story a bit, I really got wrapped up in Kaliel’s and Krishani’s lives.  Paille slowly builds and builds until you are faced with the truth and the evil that is stalking these young characters.  But, you’re still left with a fair amount of mystery and suspense to carry over to the next book of the series.

I think the story gives a graciously fresh and unique perspective/theme.  The Ferryman is not something I have really ever read about before—not in this way anyway.  A more compassionate, kind grimm reaper.  I really loved Krishani, more than Kaliel I think!  I also like that, while the relationship between the two main characters is a major theme throughout the story, love as we know it is actually rather unheard of in their world.  It gives a new, distinctive dimension to the story.

Overall, I truly enjoyed this book, and I am looking forward to the next in the series.


Be sure to stop by tomorrow for a fun interview with Rhi!!