Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Abe's Lucky Day

Abe’s Lucky Day
By: Jill Warren
ISBN:  9781432773052
Published July 7, 2011 by Outskirts Press
Available Format: Paperbook, ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

Abe is a homeless man who has a genuine heart.  He is able to share what little he has to help others in need.  In the end, his kindness truly pays off, and Abe is able to reflect on just how lucky he has been.

I received a (signed) copy of Abe’s Lucky Day for review.

Before I was even able to read this book, my six-year-old son read it several times exclaiming this was a GREAT book!  Now that I’ve finally had a chance to check it out for myself (and read it to my younger two), I have to agree. 

Often, we imagine homeless people as lazy, dirty, stinky people.  A day with Abe gives us a new perspective.  Abe is actually an extremely kind and thoughtful man.  No, he doesn’t have a place to live.  No, he doesn’t have any money.  But, he is eager to share everything he does have to help someone else, and he is repaid in a big way in the end even though he wasn’t in any way looking for a reward.

I think there are a few lessons this book can teach children (and adults!).  First of all, don’t judge someone based on their appearance or station in life.  I don’t know exactly why Abe was homeless, but he doesn’t strike me as the lazy type.  Abe is a truly kind man despite his circumstances.  Also, it is important to help others in need no matter how little you have.  Even if you don’t have any money or possessions, you can still give of your time, share a kind word, even offer up a smile.  You never know when you might completely brighten up someone’s day with such a small gesture.  Finally, if you have the right heart and strive to be kind to others, you will eventually be rewarded in some way.  It might not be the way you would want, but as the saying goes, “what goes around, comes around.” 

All of my children (age 6, 3, and 2) really enjoyed this story.  The large size of this book is fantastic for young readers.  The illustrations are big and colorful and add so much to the story.  There are so many things to talk about with this book.  As my son said, it is GREAT!