Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Captain America: The First Avenger
Directed by: Joe Johnston
Released in theaters July 22, 2011
Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action.

My Rating:  ★★★½

Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), a wisp of a man, is sick of being rejected by the military.  When Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci) overhears a discussion between Rogers and a friend and he proves himself morally worthy, Erskine gives him a chance at Project Rebirth, which enhances Rogers’ weak body into the epitome of maximum human potential.  As Captain America, Rogers must defend his country and the entire world against an evil threat who feels he has harnessed the power of the gods, the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving).

I really wanted to love this movie.  I just couldn’t help it.  There was something missing, something that would have given it that bit of oomph it needed to be really great.  The build-up seemed to take forever; my six-year-old almost couldn’t take it (he’s an action sort of guy).  The action scenes either felt forced or were far too short.  The romance was even downplayed too much.  The power source was never even explained, unless I missed it somehow.  I spent most of the movie slightly confused.

My favorite part of the whole film was the ending.  I’m not being facetious.  The twist at the end was genuinely the most exciting part of the whole story.  Hopefully the next installment, which I am almost positive will happen, will be much more entertaining!

Thank God for Tommy Lee Jones’ and Stanley Tucci’s humor and Chris Evans’ and Haley Atwell’s pretty faces!  Hugo Weaving makes a pretty convincing Red Skull.  I also love the take on World War II and Hitler’s rule (though it was not focused on that at all).  The comic provides a great storyline with tons of potential, but I think maybe a different screenwriter or even director might have been helpful. 

You’ll have to check it out sometime and let me know what you think!