Friday, August 26, 2011

Descended by Blood (Vampire Born #1)

I don't really have a feature going on this week, but I did get the opportunity to read and review a brand spankin' new novel:  Descended by Blood by Angeline Kace...  This book was released TODAY by Accendo Press.  You MUST get yourself a copy!!!  I insist! :-)


By:  Angeline Kace
ISBN: 9780983803713
Published August 26, 2011 by Accendo Press
Available format:  Paperbook, ebook

My Rating:  ★★★★★

Brooke Keller has spent her life starting over moving from town to town.  When she finally settles in one place long enough to really build a life, she is suddenly attacked by both a mountain lion and a fanged man!  Brooke soon learns her mother has kept a very important secret from her, and she embarks on a journey to find the one responsible for her attacks.  Quickly exploring a side of herself she never even knew existed, Brooke is required to risk her life as well as those she loves the most. 

First of all, I love this cover!  I love the subtle colors and the dark, edgy hair and the enigmatic feel of it all.  It is a perfect introduction to what is held within the book.  Kace develops each character and the overall story at a perfect pace.  There is plenty of mystery and action so that it isn’t all girly, love-triangle, teenage angst like a lot of the YA vampire books out there.  Don’t be alarmed about the love-triangle, it is very much in the background of the main flow of things.  There’s a little romance, but it really is all about Brooke finding out who she really is and setting out to learn more about herself and what is after her.

I think Mirko and Lijepa are my favorite characters.  I just wish we had more explanation about how Mirko was made, and I wish there was more of Lijepa, period.  Mirko definitely wins over Jaren for me.  He obviously has the normal guy “primal” side, but he also has a sensitive, understanding side.  And, well, he can kick some booty too.

Brooke is no weak heroine either, thank goodness!  She has spunk and fire and strength, and I am loving that more and more these days.  She is scared and confused, but she knows how to stand up for herself, even in the face of strong, angry vampires.  She sets a wonderful example with her determination and self-sufficiency, something that has been rather hard to find in a lot of YA novels. 

Gosh, I don’t know what else to say about this great read!  I just can’t believe she left us hanging like that!  I definitely can’t wait for the next installment of the series…