Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse 11)

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse 11)
By:  Charlaine Harris
ISBN:  9780575096523
Published May 28, 2011 by Gollancz, Victor Limited
Available Format:  Hardcover, Paperback, ebook, Audiobook

My Rating:  ★★★★☆

When Merlotte’s bar is firebombed, suspicion is immediately directed at the anti-shifter movement in the area.  But, Sookie is pretty sure the bomber was a shifter, so she and Sam work together to discover the true culprit.  In the vamp world, Eric and Pam are plotting to kill Victor, the regent of the area who has been causing them all a great deal of trouble.  Toss in a little magic and some fairy business and you’re completely wrapped up in Sookie’s crazy world again. 

I felt Sookie was a little flat this time.  She’s always been so funny and witty, and this time she just felt so stiff and boring.  Eric, my favorite vamp, was a little disappointing too.  The chemistry between the two was horrible.  Sookie and Bill, for the brief time they got to interact, made SO much more sense this time!  I was shocked, because I longed for Sookie and Eric to be together all through the beginning of the series.

I think the whole bit about the Fae was not hashed out very well and really didn’t add anything to the overall story.  I believe Harris should have just focused on Victor and Sandra Pelt and worked on bringing the much loved character out better in Sookie and Eric.   

That being said, I’m still a big Southern Vampire fan, and I found lots to love in this book.  It was nice to see a softer side to Pam, and my heart broke for her with what she was having to go through.  I am intrigued about Eric’s current predicament, so I expect the next book to be focused on that…and maybe Sookie will end up with someone else…maybe some new character that isn’t a vampire!

This definitely wasn’t my favorite Sookie Stackhouse book, and I do think Harris is running out of steam with the series.  I hate to say it, but it might be time for Sookie to ride off into the sunset (or moonset?) with…someone…