Friday, September 2, 2011

Feature Author: Beth Ann Masarik

Recently, I had the honor of co-interviewing Beth Ann Masarik, author of The World Among Us and "Murderous Regrets," on JournalStone's Blog Talk Radio show, JournalJabber.  Since I always get occupied in the chat room (and barely get a word in), I invited Beth Ann to Gathering Leaves for a little Q&A, so today is her feature day!


In case you missed my review of The World Among Us, take a peek HERE.


My review of "Murderous Regrets" is HERE.

Author Interview
Beth Ann Masarik

Beth Ann Masarik was born on Long Island, NY in the year 1984 with an over-active imagination. She used to love playing make-believe games, and now loves creating her own fantasy worlds. Masarik has been writing since she was 15 years old, and had her first newspaper article published in her high school newspaper in her sophomore year. She has taken several creative writing classes, and started writing her very first novel in college. Aside from writing novels, Masarik enjoys bowling, gaming, and role playing online. She enjoys reading fantasy novels written by Richelle Mead, L.J. Smith, and J.K. Rowling, and looks to them for role models.



GL:  What was the inspiration for The World Among Us?  Why did you decide to incorporate Greek mythology?  

Beth Ann:  The World Among Us was inspired by a past relationship I had back in college.  Great writers write about what they know, right? So, the inspiration for the Selene/Damien/DuVessa love triangle came from my first love.  The magical element came from Harry Potter believe it or not.  At the time I decided to write TWAU (the original crappy version, and I do mean crappy), I was reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  I fell in love with that book, and decided that I wanted to be like J.K.R.  

I have always loved Greek Mythology, so I decided why not combine the things that I love?  

When I started the re-write of The World Among Us, I was reading Twilight.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I loved Twilight at the time, but then I got to reading books like The Vampire Academy and House of Night, and realized something…VAMPIRES DON’T SPARKLE!  LOL, so I decided to write a book to show everyone what a REAL vampire was supposed to be like…vicious, cruel, and very, very cunning.

GL:  What led you to make Damien a vampire?  

BA:  I love a hot, sexy male vampire *cough* Dimitri *cough*, and went from there.  Actually, Damien isn’t just a vampire…he’s a whole mix of things which will come out in the sequel.

GL:  Okay, as if I wasn't already dying of anticipation...

GL:  If you could be anyone from mythology (god, goddess, Titan, etc.), who would it be?  Why?  

BA:  Hmm, I would have to say one of the moon goddesses.  I absolutely LOVE the moon, which is why I chose to write about Selene and Diana, as opposed to someone like Aphrodite. 

GL:  I would by Hypnos, the god of sleep!!! :-)

GL:  If you could marry anyone from mythology who would it be?  Why? 

BA:  Oh that’s a tough one.  I would have to say Apollo, again because of the whole moon thing J

GL:  If you were reincarnated, would you want to be yourself again or someone/something totally different?  Who/What?  

BA:  I would love to be reincarnated as a cat I think. They have it made, and they are my favorite animal.  If I couldn’t come back as a cat, I’d like to come back as a white wolf.

GL:  Do you howl at the moon?  

BA:  Haha every once in a while I do actually. 

GL:  You mentioned cosplay on JournalJabber.  What has been your most outlandish costume?  (Do you have any pictures you’d like to share? J)  

BA:  I’ve only been to two conventions and wore the same costume to both. I’ve dressed up as Mello from Death Note.  Hmm.  I think I can manage to find a photo for you. *thumbs through my million files on the laptop for one* Ahah! Found one! This is one of my favorite Mello poses.  Only thing missing was my chocolate bar, but, L stole it from me! Grrr LOL. The costume was made by my good friend Matt Krebaum.  What do you think? Be honest. (yes, those pants are pleather, and was VERY uncomfortable to walk in.)

GL:  Considering I didn't have a clue who Mello was until this, I think it looks fantastic!!!  What fun!


GL:  What is your favorite video game? 

BA:  Oh….I’m a Pokemon lover. *nods* anything pokemon is my favorite, particularly Pokemon White & Gold.

GL:  What are you currently working on?  

BA:  I’m working on a scmorgesboard of projects, but the one I am concentrating on most is Stormy Nights, the sequel to Prince of Darkness.

GL:  Yes, let's get that one pumped out please :-)!

GL:  Can you give us a tiny peek into what’s in store next for The Prince of Darkness?  

BA:  Expect A LOT of drama between Selene, Damien and DuVessa.  There will be a MEGA battle (no, I can’t and won’t tell you who wins yet, because I haven’t gotten that far, and I don’t want to spoil it for anyone lol).  You can also expect to meet several new characters including Tabitha Aysel, and The Jacksons.  (picture Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Ben Barnes, and Selena Gomez as the Jacksons).  It’s going to be EPIC.

GL:  Would you mind telling us more about your learning differences and how they influence your writing career?  

BA:  I have some trouble with critical and abstract thinking.  It sometimes makes describing things in my writing difficult, and I have a tendency to tell my stories rather than show, but that’s what editing is for J

GL:  What advice do you have for anyone struggling with learning differences?  Writers?  Both?  

BA:  Just keep at it, and don’t let the fear of your disability keep you from reaching your goal/dream.  If I did that, I wouldn’t be here today.  Know that you aren’t alone, and that I am here if you need someone to chat with.  Just keep at it, and don’t let the fear of rejection get in your way.

GL:  I am always inspired by anyone who has overcome such struggles.  My own child has severe ADHD, and I am always on the lookout for special people I can show as examples of how he can succeed in life despite all else!

GL:  What book has taught you the most about life?  

BA:  I’ll be honest, but it was Harry Potter.  Harry was a boy thrown into a world unknown to him, where an evil, dark wizard wanted to kill him.  Harry struggled day to day not knowing who his real parents were, etc. etc, and being picked on and bullied by “Death Eaters” and Slytherins, but he still managed to fight what he believed in.  I personally think that Harry Potter, regardless of being a fictional character, is a great role model, especially for people with learning disabilities.

GL:  Milk or Dark Chocolate?  

BA:  Milk Chocolate, most definitely J

GL:  What food can you eat seven days a week?  

BA:  Pizza, chips and iced tea J

GL:  Describe your PERFECT day.

BA:  Being able to stay home from work to spend time with my fiancé and writing until I can’t write anymore J

GL:  Thank you so very much Beth Ann for stopping in with us for a bit!  It has been a pleasure getting to know you better.  I am REALLY looking forward to Stormy Nights!!  So, get back to writing now... :-)
















Beth Ann's links:


www.theworldamongus.webs.com (a work in progress)

www.stormynights.webs.com (a work in progress)

www.wordsmithsinkscribblers.spruz.com (a new writers social network that I am in the process of developing)
 

Goodreads-

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4667718.Beth_Ann_Masarik


Barnes & Noble-


Amazon