Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Feature: The Protector by Marliss Melton

This week's extra special guest is Ms. Marliss Melton, author of the military romantic suspense novel, The Protector...and a whole bunch of other great novels!  Jeff Wilson (The Traiteur's Ring) introduced us (wasn't that sweet?).  


Tomorrow, September 29th, Marliss will be dropping by for an interview, so be sure to stop by and learn all there is to know about this fantastic lady!


Today you get to hear my thoughts on The Protector...


By:  Marliss Melton
ISBN:  9781460951811
Published June 24, 2011
Available Format:  Paperback, ebook

My Rating:  ★★★★☆

Eryn McClellan is an ESL teacher in D.C., just living her normal, somewhat boring life.  Things are turned upside down when a group of terrorists target her in order to avenge her father’s actions in Afghanistan.  With the FBI using Eryn as bait, her father sends in his own man to protect her, former Navy SEAL Issac Calhoun.  Ike was certain he’d left the days of war behind him now that he had carved out his own little niche in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  When the gorgeous daughter of his mentor is suddenly thrown into his life, he does his best to resist her charms.  In the end, he finds himself waging a one-man war in Eryn’s defense while he discovers the strength to overcome his past and open his heart to love once again. 

I’ll admit, when Ms. Melton’s work was recommended to me as “straight up military romance,” I went into this thinking about G.I. Fabio and camouflage nighties.  Now that I’m on the other side I must say I am impressed.  The romance side of the story did not detract from the overall plot.  Melton wove every aspect of the tale together with much grace and taste.  There is so much more to this novel than passionate panting and ripping…well…BDUs.

This book made me angry, it made me laugh, it made me cry, and most of all it made me smile!  I love the chemistry between the two main characters.  It wasn’t too over-the-top, like you’d expect out of a lot of romance novels, and it definitely wasn’t forced either.  They were believable and endearing—exactly how any writer wants their characters to feel. 

There were a few typos in the book but nothing too distracting overall.  I read that Marliss chose to self-publish this story due to some discrepancies with the publisher of her other novels.  I think she did a fantastic job, and I am glad she decided not to give up on her SEAL novels!

After reading this I’m left with two thougths:  I MUST to go back and read her other books!  AND  I really want my own cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains! J



Don't forget to come by tomorrow to check out Marliss' interview!!!