Thursday, September 15, 2011

Feature: Rain Plays Barefoot by Jennifer Steen

“Rain Plays Barefoot”
By:  Jennifer Steen
ASIN:  B005BTMTYA
Published July 7, 2011 by Books to Go Now
Available Format:  ebook

My Rating:  ★★★★★

Rain isn’t the typical middle school girl.  She doesn’t like makeup, she doesn’t want to fuss with her hair, she likes to play basketball, and she wants to play percussion in the band.  Being different makes Rain feel even more isolated and awkward than normal.  Shortly after she gets started with her band lessons, she learns that despite her differences, boys are still interested in her and she is interested in them.  Will she find her first love, and will it be with the guy she has her heart set on?

I finished this story with a big smile on my face!  It took me right back to the good old days of marching band, overrated dances, and the awkwardness of growing up, which I have to say was my very favorite part of this story.  It brought back so many memories! 

I related to Rain on so many different levels.  She struggled with things I still face today, even though I’m married and have kids of my own.  Who doesn’t remember that time in their lives when they were sure they were the odd ball out, not good enough for anyone, and desperate to find their place in the world?   Rain’s story is every girl’s story in one way or another.

Steen’s prose is beautiful and so easy to lose yourself in.  She has a way of making a short story feel like a full length novel, which is how it should be.  All the emotions, depth, and entertainment wrapped in a perfectly concise little package that takes far less time!   

This is the second of Steen’s short stories I have read, and it is definitely my favorite!