Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Starblazer

"Starblazer"
By: Barbara G. Tarn
ISBN:  2940011221903
Published March 5, 2011
Available Format:  ebook

My Rating: ★★★★☆

When a woodcutter’s wife comes upon a mysterious winged Sila in the forest, she does everything she can to help him, but he needs another magical creature to be fully healed.  The woodcutter remembers the witch and brings her back to their home.  Together she and the Sila search for the source of the dark magic that struck him and his partner down.

This short story has something that I absolutely love—black-winged creatures!  Yum!  I love how she starts with the woodcutter’s wife who tries to help the creature in conventional ways only to learn they are surrounded by this powerful, mysterious magic. 

Since I am easing my way into all of Barb’s work by way of these short stories/novellas, I am getting glimpses of all these fantastical creatures, and I cannot wait to dive into her full-length pieces!  She is obviously a wonderful storyteller.  What an amazing and magical world she has created for these remarkable creatures to reside!